a post from Kayla:
The dog days of summer are coming to an end. In our little corner of the world, that means the temperature drops a few degrees from hotter-than-Hades misery to sweat-in-the-shade unbearable. The last of the summer vegetables are barely holding on. And after this long year, so are we.
But there is a silver lining to those puffy white August clouds. Fall is around the corner and so is our resolve to enjoy the rest of 2020, despite its many, M-A-N-Y pitfalls! This decadent dark chocolate zucchini bread is the perfect intersection of summer and fall–and of looking back with relief that it’s over and ahead with a hopeful resiliency.
Why This One’s Better (And Better For You)
Let me be plain: this Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread is the business. Higher in antioxidants and lower in fat and sugar than your garden variety loaf, you can relish this melt-in-your-mouth goodness without remorse. Splurge on organic zucchini or better yet, squash from your chemical-conscious farmer down the lane, since you’ll be using the skin (and no one needs that pesticide nonsense when we’ve got COVID to worry about). Greek yogurt adds moisture and flavor without the fat. Olive oil is a heart-healthier alternative to vegetable oil. This bread uses a reduced amount of brown sugar, which adds a richness to the crumb.
Pleasant eating, my lovelies! Hugs and love, Kayla
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 medium zucchinis
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup dark cocoa/cacao powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 60% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan (8” x 4” x 2”) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove ends of zucchini and grate over a colander. Using the back of a large spoon or spatula, press zucchini against the colander to remove excess fluid.
- Transfer grated zucchini into a clean bowl. Add in brown sugar, olive oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan. Top with reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
I have a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake that’s dense and rich, but a little over the top when it comes to fat and sugar. This looks good, and as soon as I collect some chocolate, I’m going to give it a try. Thanks so much for the recipe!
Chocolate zucchini cake! And it’s not even that sweet! How do you like that?
Woohoo! Early morning recipe, so as to not heat up the casa after 8 am! This sounds yummy…
Thanks so much…
Hello Dee! You know that’s right! How about a “no baking zone” from 10:00am to 8:00pm? That’s why our grill gets so much use in July/Aug!
Great recipe! Thank you!
Thank you so much, Tracy! Have a wonderful day!
thank you Kayla. I can’t wait to try this. I miss you guys!
Hello Barbara! We miss you! I hope you are doing so well and very happy and healthy!